From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with all these "acct-group" ebuilds recently?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:22:04
1 On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 7:06 PM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > You just pointed out the ambiguity.
4 >
5 > Emerging a package solely by its name worked 99.9% of the time before
6 > this change.
7 >
8 > Now new users get the fun of "Gee, which one is the one I actually
9 > want?" MythTV is a fairly clear one to figure out, but other packages
10 > aren't.
11
12 Honestly, your word of "ambiguity" was somewhat ambiguous. I had no
13 idea what you were talking about in your original post. :)
14
15 I think this is actually a fair criticism. Not so much that it isn't
16 clear which one to install, but rather that this system does cause you
17 to have to use full cat/pkg atoms when previous pkg alone would have
18 worked. There have always been packages where this is necessary, but
19 this has made this more common.
20
21 I don't think this was really something anybody thought of at the time
22 - perhaps somebody might have suggested a tweak at the time if it had
23 been. As others have pointed out you could just tweak portage to
24 ignore the account category when expanding incomplete atoms to restore
25 the previous behavior.
26
27 In any case, as to why this system was devised just read:
28 https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0081.html
29
30 It hasn't been communicated to users much because it tends to have
31 little impact on them. Before packages just created accounts when
32 needed. Now they pull in an account package that does it instead. If
33 the user doesn't care to manage the uids/gids for various accounts
34 they don't need to worry about how this works. If they do want to
35 manage these themselves they can either create those accounts manually
36 beforehand, or override these packages. It is also much more obvious
37 when a new package is going to create additional accounts, so users
38 who care about such things can intervene before merging the packages.
39
40 Overall I'd say it is a net improvement. It of course led to a whole
41 bunch of these packages being installed when the change was made, but
42 these would generally be no-ops for existing users.
45 Rich