From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with all these "acct-group" ebuilds recently?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:42:15
1 On 6/20/20 6:21 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 7:06 PM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You just pointed out the ambiguity.
5 >>
6 >> Emerging a package solely by its name worked 99.9% of the time before
7 >> this change.
8 >>
9 >> Now new users get the fun of "Gee, which one is the one I actually
10 >> want?" MythTV is a fairly clear one to figure out, but other packages
11 >> aren't.
12 >
13 > Honestly, your word of "ambiguity" was somewhat ambiguous. I had no
14 > idea what you were talking about in your original post. :)
15 >
16 > I think this is actually a fair criticism. Not so much that it isn't
17 > clear which one to install, but rather that this system does cause you
18 > to have to use full cat/pkg atoms when previous pkg alone would have
19 > worked. There have always been packages where this is necessary, but
20 > this has made this more common.
23 Yes, I could've worded that better.
24
25 I would imagine that if someone asks to install something like mythtv or
26 asterisk there's a 0% chance that they want to install a package that
27 creates a user or group, they want the actual package itself.
28
29 I think that makes more sense.
30
31 I've been using gentoo since 2003/04? and I've only had to use the
32 cat/package expression maybe twice... and I believe those packages were
33 python or perl related.
34
35 It's more of a usability issue than anything.
36
37 The way that it now deals with user and group creation is elegant,
38 especially if you have more than one package that needs a specific user
39 and/or group combination created. When I first saw portage spit out the
40 ambiguity for the request `emerge mythtv` the first thing I thought was
41 "Why would I need to merge a package to create a user? That's the
42 package manager's problem..." :o)
43
44 Maybe when I have a moment I'll file a bug.
45
46 Dan