From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AMD lappy
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 17:19:52
1 On 11/17/18 9:59 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-18, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> On 11/17/18 6:51 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2018-11-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Saturday, 17 November 2018 23:00:22 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
6 >>>>> On 2018-11-17, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>> Actually and AMD Arm (64bit) Ryzen or newer.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> No, Ryzen is not an Arm processor.
11 >>>
12 >>>> Well, ... the PSP spy-in-the-die is an ARM core running within the
13 >>>> main AMD x86 CPU and you can't switch it off, or remove it.
14 >>>
15 >>> Right. Unless AMD has screwed up royally, the ARM
16 >>> security-processor-thingy is pretty much invisible to the end-user.
17 >>>
18 >>>> However, I'm sure this is not the kind of ARM James' been looking
19 >>>> for.
20 >>>
21 >>> I assumed not.
22 >>>
23 >>> I'd love to have an Arm based laptop, but getting full-up Linux
24 >>> running reliably on a Chromebook is just a bit over my hassle budget.
25 >>> I also want it to have a 16" 4:3 150dpi display, an RJ45 Ethernet
26 >>> connector, and a real DB9 serial port. I'll pass on the built in POTS
27 >>> modem...
28 >>
29 >> I had not realized that AMD has completely given up on Arm Systems.
30 >
31 > It's hard to tell. They still show the Opteron-A on their web site,
32 > but Google couldn't find anything using it...
33 >
34 >> I'm looking for an arm64 system, with enough native power to compile 64
35 >> bit arm codes, natively. Here is the best I've found::
36 >>
37 >> SynQuacer Dev Box
38 >>
39 >> [1] https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/
40 >>
41 >> Purports to run gentoo (embedded?).
42 >> "�SC2A11� is a multi-core chip with 24 cores of ARM� Cortex-A53"
43 >>
44 >> Not quite available (alpha) and a bit pricey at $1200.00.
45 >
46 > Ouch.
47 >
48 >> Like Grant I'm looking for an arm 64 system that is straightforward
49 >> on installing gentoo, and has enough resources to perform most
50 >> compiles, natively. Or somebody has distcc running on four of those
51 >> 4G DDR-4 boards.
52 >>
53 >> Perhaps a gentoo cluster running on the latest R. PI ?
54 >>
55 >> Perhaps Vapier has a hidden howto to put native gentoo on Chromebooks?
56 >
57 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chromebook
58 >
59 > It's definitly doable ( for certain models and some value of
60 > "doable"). Everytime I look into it, the models for which "real"
61 > Linux installations are documented are always out-of-production.
62 >
63 >> Perhaps "TomH" has some suggestions. I got one of those "hikey Armv8a"
64 >> boards from 2015, but cannot find his gentoo image he crafted and
65 >> published. I do not have time for another gentoo adventure, just want to
66 >> use it and sync it now and again and install ebuilds and write a few
67 >> ebuilds for some 64 bit arm boards.
68 >
69 > Cross development might be easier. It's how a _lot_ of ARM Linux
70 > targets are supported. Even if the devlopment host and target are
71 > both ARM64, unless they're _really_ identical (same kernel, distro,
72 > and libraries), you still end up doing a good amount of "cross"
73 > compiling.
74 >
75 >> My thoughts are to consolidate my efforts into one (arm64) arch, both on
76 >> the development lappy and the arm64 SBCs I have to code to and
77 >> maintain. Perhaps All winner? (Allwinner H6)?USB 3.0 is great for SSD
78 >> and offgrid applications.
82 So, I'm going with a standard::
85 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_3_64_bit_Install
86
87 I guess I'll try to cluster these guys, say four, into an old laptop
88 with a removed motherboard, and just cable the connections, to the
89 external sides of the old/large motherboard. It'll be interested to see
90 if I can get the 17.3 inch screen to work with this board. You'd think
91 that some laptop case manufacturer would have already built a generic
92 laptop to house 4-8 of these R.pi.3B+ boards inside and prebuilt cables
93 to tether to glueable connectors on the outside of the case. I like the
94 Molex-screw-terminals myself, particularly for RS232 serial and A/D IO.
95 USB and HDMI out to be easy to extend.
96
97 And you thought those old (large) laptops were still useless....
98
99 Wish me luck. Drop a line if you find gentoo-clusterd on these R.
100 Pi-3B+ SBC anywhere. Surely today's kids do that sort of thing between
101 classes?
102
103 It'd be great if we made this laptop to clusters (gentoo) Rpi a group
104 project... I might just look for a 'carrier-slot' hardware, where R.pi
105 can be inserted and removed kinda like the old pcmcia cards on lappies.
106
107 Thx Grant (&Mick),
108
109 James