From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eject and util-linux blocker
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:51:06
1 On 17/03/2015 20:10, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Your basic problem is that you have static and static-libs in USE. When
5 >> applied to lvm, a whole bunch of blockers kick in and you get what you
6 >> got. So take them out of USE.
7 >>
8 >> USE="static static-libs" has it's uses, it's great for building rescue
9 >> disks, busybox and maybe some disk repair utils, but makes very little
10 >> sense on a regular workstation. If you break your workstation, you'll
11 >> boot off a rescue disk and use the tools on it to fix your install, so
12 >> you don't need it on the main system.
13 >>
14 >> There is nothing wrong with your eudev.
15 >> lvm2 is bitching about blockers between lvm2 built with "USE=static" and
16 >> udev - there's some incompatibility there and the ebuild knows about them
20 > I went through the package.use file and commented out the static and
21 > static-libs stuff. It seems happy but thing is, when I put them there,
22 > they were needed for some reason. Actually, all the parts I found had
23 > the output of where emerge said those were needed. Maybe the reason
24 > they were needed then has changed and they are no longer needed. I hope
25 > anyway. ;-)
26 >
27 > Thanks. I'm not sure I would have ever figured out that it was that
28 > causing the problem. That got pretty deep.
29
30 I've gotten to the point where I can make sense of portage output (it
31 took a while!) but I have no idea how to explain how I do it :-)
32
33 Portage makes a very fundamental blunder - it exposes the underlying
34 implementation in the output. The odds are very slim the average user
35 will ever make reasonable sense of it.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com