From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gmail + Email Client = No way
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:14:12
1 On Sunday 27 August 2006 00:54, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 27 August 2006 00:37, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
3 > > For last year or so, I've been using Gmail with Firefox, all in
4 > > browser, and have wanted to move to a local email client (using
5 > > Thunderbird or Sylpheed-Claws).
6 > > Unfortunately, the only time I have had any success with this was
7 > > with the Windows port of Thunderbird.
8 >
9 > Assuming that the behaviour of Thunderbird is the same on both OS'
10 > then it may have something to do with the default settings (ie.
11 > format, locale, etc.) for date/month/year on your display manager?
12 >
13 > > Otherwise, it only grabs about a hundred or so
14 > > emails at a time, and will never get the latest emails.
15
16 On a weekend I set up KMail with my GMail account. About 6,000 threads.
17
18 What I did was set up the account and then enabled interval checking for
19 every minute and then went off and did other things while ignoring
20 KMail.
21
22 I'd suggest leaving the machine on overnight with KMail using interval
23 checking.
24
25 Now I'm using KMail and it works really really well.
26
27 > Just to prove the case, have you tried Kmail?
28
29 I've used both Thunderbird and KMail, and I like KMail better.
30 Thunderbird is supported by the Google how-to section, however, it's
31 really easy to set up in KMail. Just look at the how to setup
32 instructions for Outlook and then just use some common sense and it's
33 really quite easy.
36 http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/