From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & GRUB help
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:53:33
1 --- Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Happy new year!
3
4 Happy new year to you all to!
5
6 > On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 11:16 -0800, BRM wrote:
7 > [snip]
8 > > All seems well. It boots and presents the menu, but then can't find
9 > the
10 > > kernel when I select "Gentoo Linux" or try to manually run the
11 > lines. I
12 > > tried using "find" at the grub command prompt during the boot
13 > process,
14 > > but it couldn't find it either. I haven't tried the Slackware
15 > kernel
16 > > yet, as I am mostly concerned about the Gentoo kernel.
17 > have you tried grubs completion? if you type "kernel (hd1,1)/" and
18 > then
19 > <tab> it should try and complete the line for you. (from the grub
20 > command prompt, once you've booted into the grub shell) It could be
21 > possible that your bios / grub have swapped the drive assignment
22 > around
23 > during boot. Try all your (hdx,y) combinations with grub completion
24 > until you find one that has /gentoo on it.
25 "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
26 > Your system will look at the first device that the BIOS finds for a
27 > bootloader. That 'should' be /dev/hda, but it could well be /dev/sda
28 > (check device map and also use Grub's tab completion to see what the
29 > BIOS/Grub sees first).
32 Thanks. I had tried tab-completion while at the grub command-line from
33 the CD during install, but it wasn't working. When Grub came up, it was
34 thinking hdb equalled hd0 instead of hd1. So while it worked fine with
35 hd1 from the CD (it didn't like hd0 then), it was mixed up when grub
36 actually ran.
37
38 Any suggestions on how to fix this so that grub runs well from within
39 Linux?
40
41 "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
42 > Check your /boot/grub/device.map to make sure that devices correspond
43 > to the expected grub nomenclature.
44 Also - (per Mick's e-mail)
45
46 > > Note: I am using LVM2 under this Gentoo install - but not for /boot
47 > or
48 > > /.
49 > it shouldn't interfere with /boot or /
50
51 That's what I thought, I just figured I mention it just in case.
52
53 > > What am I missing?
54 > don't know, hope my hints can help.
55
56 Thanks, it sure did. :->
57
58 Ben