From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:11:34
1 On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 06:22:39PM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > I think mdev has shown it can be fixed. Given time, it just may replace
4 > udev then the udev dev can screw up his own stuff on not bother other
5 > distros. I'm giving mdev some thought here. I want /usr on LVM which
6 > means it has to be separate.
7
8 Sorry, in lste-breaking news, it looks like udev is a mandatory
9 dependancy for lvm2. No udev ==> No lvm2
10
11 Can you run a test for me? What happens when you...
12
13 1) insert the line
14 sys-fs/udev
15 into /etc/portage/package.mask
16
17 2) execute "emerge -pv system"
18
19 3) execute "emerge -pv world"
20
21 4) Remember to remove the "sys-fs/udev" line from package.mask<G>
22
23 I expect that you should get an error message about not being able to
24 emerge lvm2 due to udev being masked. This is something I intend to add
25 to the instructions, so people can check ahead of time whether their
26 particular setup is able to run without udev.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>