From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 22:59:19
1 On Sun, 02 Feb 2020 14:24:47 -0500,
2 Jack wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello Ian,
5 >
6 > On 2020.02.02 13:36, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
7 > > On 2020-02-01 17:08, Jack wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing
10 > >> lists like this one, if I send a message to the list, I never
11 > >> see that I get the message from the list, because gmail
12 > >> refuses to show it in my inbox because it's a duplicate of a
13 > >> message already in my sentbox.
14 > > >
15 > >> I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
16 > >> namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a
17 > >> similar setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand
18 > >> what I'm asking of them, but I've wasted more than enough time
19 > >> trying.
20 > > >
21 > >> So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service
22 > >> provider that understands this and will let me set it up.
23 > >
24 > > For your immediate problem, my answer would depend on whether
25 > > you're OK interacting with email entirely through the browser,
26 > > or you are a classicist like myself and want to use a "real"
27 > > email client like mutt or thunderbird.
28 > I absolutely detest webmail, and use it only when absolutely
29 > necessary, which in many cases is to look at the SPAM folder to
30 > mark something as Not Spam. I use IMAP when I'm away from home
31 > (set up on android phone, android tablet, and Artix Linux
32 > laptop.) At home, I pull everything by POP3. Before a long
33 > trip, I rsync my whole mail hierarchy from my desktop to the
34 > laptop, in case I need to reference any older messages, although
35 > I sometimes just go digging in the Trash folder via IMAP.
36 >
37 > > From your writing about gmail, I am guessing it's the former:
38 > > you're okay with webmail. In that case, I recommend that you
39 > > look at protonmail, tutanota and hushmail. I have used all of
40 > > them and I still use protonmail for one of my personas :) I
41 > > hasten to add I have _not_ checked how easy it is to mask the
42 > > sender address at any of these.
43 > First, I didn't choose, and do not actually like gmail. If you
44 > don't want lots of gory details, you can skip this paragraph.
45 > For years, I had email provided by my ISP (sbcglobal.net - not
46 > discussing it's various sales and name changes) actually managed
47 > by Yahoo. However, when AT&T sold their landline business in
48 > Connecticut to Frontier, although my sbclobal.net addresses
49 > didn't go away, they ended up in a sort of limbo - it became
50 > impossible for me to get any support. If I called Yahoo, they
51 > said to get support from AT&T. If I called AT&T, as soon as they
52 > figured out I was in Connecticut, they transferred the call to
53 > Frontier. If I called Frontier, they wouldn't help since they
54 > didn't control that domain. About that time, my college stopped
55 > simply providing an email forwarding service, and provided a real
56 > email account under the alumni subdomain of the university's
57 > domain. Unfortunately, the actual account is gmail. Once I
58 > realized I wanted something other than that, I bought my domain
59 > ostroff.xyz through namecheap.com. I then set up email accounts
60 > through their provider privateemail.com. So - my current goal is
61 > to get my xxx@×××××××.xyz email hosted somewhere else.
62 >
63 > > The longer view though is that this will get harder and harder,
64 > > for the reasons other people in the thread have given. google
65 > > and company will impose their fascist anti-spam checks and they
66 > > will get away with it because most everyone uses google and
67 > > company, and nobody but a few geeks cares about the corner case
68 > > of mailing lists.
69 > Agreed.
70 >
71 > > <sarcasm> Who needs mailing lists when we have web forums? </sarcasm>
72 > I absolutely agree, sarcastically or not.
73 > > This is what writers like Jon Corbet of LWN mean by "the death
74 > > of email". And this is why, if you are one of the geeks who do
75 > > care, the only way to prolong your life with email is to set up
76 > > your own server. You're already halfway there as you have your
77 > > own domain.
78 > I suppose that is where I will eventually end up, but right now,
79 > I'm just not up for worrying about actually running an internet
80 > facing service. We'll see how one of the other replies to this
81 > thread pushes in that direction.
82
83 I do have my own server, but I have problems sending to gmail address,
84 I never get a bounce, but the messages disappear, maybe they are in
85 the senders spam folder, but I don't think so. For those messages I
86 use the services of my incoming mail provider which protects me
87 against incoming spam which would be massive for me, and also has an
88 outgoing mail service which I don't like to use because of its strange
89 mapping of its ip addresses to names, but the whole thing works after
90 this strange fashion.
93 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
94 How do
95 you spend it?
96
97 John Covici wb2una