From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 19:24:57
1 Hello Ian,
2
3 On 2020.02.02 13:36, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > On 2020-02-01 17:08, Jack wrote:
5 >
6 >> I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists
7 >> like this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I
8 >> get the message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in
9 >> my inbox because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
10 > >
11 >> I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
12 >> namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
13 >> setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking
14 >> of them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
15 > >
16 >> So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider
17 >> that understands this and will let me set it up.
18 >
19 > For your immediate problem, my answer would depend on whether you're
20 > OK interacting with email entirely through the browser, or you are a
21 > classicist like myself and want to use a "real" email client like
22 > mutt or thunderbird.
23 I absolutely detest webmail, and use it only when absolutely necessary,
24 which in many cases is to look at the SPAM folder to mark something as
25 Not Spam. I use IMAP when I'm away from home (set up on android phone,
26 android tablet, and Artix Linux laptop.) At home, I pull everything by
27 POP3. Before a long trip, I rsync my whole mail hierarchy from my
28 desktop to the laptop, in case I need to reference any older messages,
29 although I sometimes just go digging in the Trash folder via IMAP.
30
31 > From your writing about gmail, I am guessing it's the former: you're
32 > okay with webmail. In that case, I recommend that you look at
33 > protonmail, tutanota and hushmail. I have used all of them and I
34 > still use protonmail for one of my personas :) I hasten to add I
35 > have _not_ checked how easy it is to mask the sender address at any
36 > of these.
37 First, I didn't choose, and do not actually like gmail. If you don't
38 want lots of gory details, you can skip this paragraph. For years, I
39 had email provided by my ISP (sbcglobal.net - not discussing it's
40 various sales and name changes) actually managed by Yahoo. However,
41 when AT&T sold their landline business in Connecticut to Frontier,
42 although my sbclobal.net addresses didn't go away, they ended up in a
43 sort of limbo - it became impossible for me to get any support. If I
44 called Yahoo, they said to get support from AT&T. If I called AT&T, as
45 soon as they figured out I was in Connecticut, they transferred the
46 call to Frontier. If I called Frontier, they wouldn't help since they
47 didn't control that domain. About that time, my college stopped
48 simply providing an email forwarding service, and provided a real email
49 account under the alumni subdomain of the university's domain.
50 Unfortunately, the actual account is gmail. Once I realized I wanted
51 something other than that, I bought my domain ostroff.xyz through
52 namecheap.com. I then set up email accounts through their provider
53 privateemail.com. So - my current goal is to get my xxx@×××××××.xyz
54 email hosted somewhere else.
55
56 > The longer view though is that this will get harder and harder, for
57 > the reasons other people in the thread have given. google and
58 > company will impose their fascist anti-spam checks and they will get
59 > away with it because most everyone uses google and company, and
60 > nobody but a few geeks cares about the corner case of mailing lists.
61 Agreed.
62
63 > <sarcasm> Who needs mailing lists when we have web forums? </sarcasm>
64 I absolutely agree, sarcastically or not.
65 > This is what writers like Jon Corbet of LWN mean by "the death of
66 > email". And this is why, if you are one of the geeks who do care,
67 > the only way to prolong your life with email is to set up your own
68 > server. You're already halfway there as you have your own domain.
69 I suppose that is where I will eventually end up, but right now, I'm
70 just not up for worrying about actually running an internet facing
71 service. We'll see how one of the other replies to this thread pushes
72 in that direction.
73
74 Jack