From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question re: make.conf/profile location change
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:06:22
1 Am Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:48:44 -0400
2 schrieb Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On 2013-08-11 12:03 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > When in doubt, read the man page (make.conf(5)):
6 > >
7 > > "[...]
8 > > DESCRIPTION
9 > > This file contains various variables that are used by Portage. Portage will check
10 > > the currently-defined environment variables first for any settings. If no environ‐
11 > > ment settings are found, Portage then checks the make.conf files. Both
12 > > /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/make.conf are checked (if present), and settings
13 > > from /etc/portage/make.conf will override settings from /etc/make.conf. [...]"
14 >
15 > Thanks... my point was more that the news item didn't explain this -
16 > also, this answers as to make.conf, but what about make.profile?
17
18 portage(5) says:
19
20 "If both /etc/portage/make.profile/ and /etc/make.profile/ exist,
21 then /etc/portage/make.profile/ will be preferred."
22
23 > I just don't like being forced to assume, or 'test for myself', when it
24 > could be made crystal clear in the news item/docs.
25
26 Yes, I agree that that might perhaps have been nice to mention it in the news
27 item (although IMHO that's the sort of information the man pages are there
28 for), but it *is* crystal clear in the docs, or do you not count the man pages
29 to the docs?
30
31 > Also, would
32 >
33 > ~ cd /etc/portage
34 > ~ ln -s make.profile ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0
35 >
36 > Be the right way to create the make.profile symlink in the new location?
37
38 AFAIK eselect profile uses the new location, but I don't remember how precisely
39 I moved it (not that it matters).
40
41 > Not sure why the two preceeding dots are there in the current one in
42 > /etc, but they are...
43
44 The current location is /etc/make.conf, right? Then ../usr/[...] will resolve
45 to /usr/[...], whereas your ln command above will resolve to /etc/usr/[...],
46 which is, erm, wrong :) .
47
48 [...]
49
50 HTH
51 --
52 Marc Joliet
53 --
54 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
55 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup