From: Ian K <omega_2_1@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommend me a good PCMCIA wireless network card
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:35:51
1 Colin wrote:
4 > On Jul 24, 2005, at 2:54 AM, Greg Bur wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 7/23/05, Ian K <omega_2_1@×××××.ca> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Hi there,
9 >>> I have an older laptop that I want to add to my network,
10 >>> (its a 802.11B one) and I was wondering what brands/models
11 >>> would work the best under Linux. Im fairly flexible, and would
12 >>> really not like to tinker with too many drivers. Any good ideas?
13 >>> Thanks!
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> I've always had good luck with cards that use the Orinoco chipset and
17 >> the only time I've had to tinder with drivers was when I wanted to get
18 >> Kismet working with the card. You should be able to pick one up for
19 >> under $50. Check out http://www.proxim.com or
20 >> http://www.buffalotech.com for more details.
23 > Just remember, if the laptop isn't going too far, a good length of Ye
24 > Olde Cat5e is a much cheaper solution. That being said...
27 > Yeah, I picked up a great Orinoco (branded as Enterasys) at
28 > Rokland.com last month for roughly $50. Atheros chipset, 802.11a/
29 > SuperA/b/b+/g/SuperG... very nice. It works in Windows (with the
30 > driver CD), Mac OS X (with the shareware OrangeWare driver--totally
31 > worth the $15 shareware fee) and, naturally, Linux (with MADWIFI).
32 > It picks up Channels 1 through 14, and can put out up to 100 mW of
33 > power (40 mW on A networks).
34 >
35 > There's no antenna jack, though, but I hear most PCMCIA Orinocoes can
36 > be modded to include some kind of external jack; I'm not that
37 > desperate for power, but with dial-up at home, I might do that mod
38 > and build a yagi antenna, get in my car, and... well, you get the
39 > idea. :-)
40 >
41 > Still haven't had any luck with KisMAC (the OS X port of Kismet),
42 > though. It finds my card but doesn't detect my wireless network...
43 > I'll figure it out eventually.
44 > --
45 > Colin
46
47 My other laptop has a nice atheros wireless card, very painless to set
48 up. I dont know what
49 chipsets are on what cards, so perhaps you could give me a model name
50 and brand? I really
51 just want to be able to goto futureshop and pick one up.. :)
52 Thank you for understanding my dumbness. :)
53 Ian

omega_2_1.vcf text/x-vcard