From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 02:40:31
1 On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
4 > <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Mark David Dumlao wrote:
6 > >> The code is out there. Freely available. Both systemd and sysvinit.
7 > >> If you wanted to measure both, you could, literally, in the time it
8 > >> took since you first posted in this thread till now you could have
9 > >> measured several times and left mean comments about whichever
10 > >> system you hated the most.
11 > >
12 > > Unfortunately, the systemd guys keep screaming that systemd is faster,
13 > > and burden of proof is on the party that's claiming something. It's not
14 > > James'/Volker's responsibility to prove that systemd isn't faster.
17 > I think Mark fully appreciates that if he wants to change your mind
18 > he's going to have to work hard to do it.
19 >
20 > I just don't think he really cares.
21 >
22 > The argument about whether systemd is better/worse than sysvinit was a
23 > debate back in 2012-2013. Just about anybody actually contributing to
24 > distros has moved on since then. That doesn't mean that there is 100%
25 > agreement on anything, just that at this point it seems unlikely that
26 > things are going to change much either way on that front. A few
27 > distros are likely to avoid systemd, and the vast majority are in the
28 > process of adopting it.
31 Yeah Rich gets it. "systemd guys keep screaming that systemd is faster"
32 seems to imply that most of us give a tweet what PID1 you're running. When
33 we don't. Most often what happens is some news on systemd developments
34 comes up, people say "yay!", and other people say "you're destroying Linux
35 and gonna doom us all" and they act all righteous when we say "uh, what?"
36 like it matters to us what you're running.
37
38 Fact is if it's _you_ that seems to give a tweet about systemd speed, so
39 it's on _you_ to measure it, I don't really care what you think. The fact
40 that you think pid1's speed or resource usage might be a big deal is very
41 indicative on how badly informed you are in the first place.
42
43 It reminds me a lot of how some communities treat Gentoo users, asking them
44 to off the bat produce speed benchmarks comparing them to Arch or whatnot.
45 As if the Gentoo users gave a tweet about what other users run on their
46 machines in their own time... no, they very largely don't and there's no
47 good reason for them to be convincing other people about it.
48 --
49 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [ ] social
50 Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [ ] no
51 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [ ] none