From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:45:15
1 Michael Scherer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:01:09 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Michael Scherer wrote:
6 >>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
7 >>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Michael Mol wrote:
10 >>>>> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
11 >>>>> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
12 >>>>> own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want
13 >>>>> my systems ready before that.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like
16 >>>>> the command I need to run is:
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
23 >>>>> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
26 >>>>> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on
27 >>>>> your system
28 >>>>>
29 >>>>> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file
30 >>>>> a bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
31 >>>>> says not to file build errors as bug reports.
32 >>>>>
33 >>>>> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut
34 >>>>> is still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
35 >>>>> working.
36 >>>>>
37 >>>>> I've attached genkernel.log
38 >>>>>
39 >>>>
40 >>>>
41 >>>> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still
42 >>>> support /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went
43 >>>> through, we may not need the init thingy after all.
44 >>>>
45 >>>> Go figure.
46 >>>>
47 >>>> Dale
48 >>>>
49 >>>> :-) :-)
50 >>>>
51 >>>
52 >>> I wouldn't bet on that.
53 >>>
54 >>> But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
55 >>> that does just that: load /usr.
56 >>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
57 >>> It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
58 >>> have an initramfs.
59 >>> There's also a more general introduction
60 >>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
61 >>> for a lot of other options
62 >>>
63 >>> michael
64 >>>
65 >>>
68 >> I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
69 >> it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.
70 >>
71 >> You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
72 >> thingy to work huh?
73 >>
74 >> Dale
75 >>
76 >> :-) :-)
79 > Indeed, I missed all but one email, but there was no hint
80 > at all that anything had been said before I came in.
81 > Sorry for my unsolicited comments, and I hope you have
82 > solved that problem in one or another way.
83 >
84 > michael
90 I meant to put a "LOL" after the comment about the huge thread. I'm not
91 sure how I missed that. :/ I did get it to work finally. It took
92 several peoples help and a hammer on my part. ;-)
93
94 I'm just curious as to how they are going to support this in the future.
95 I have read where some say it can be done but others say it can't, or
96 not easily. Old saying, this is where the rubber meets the road. ^_^
99 To the OP. I would use dracut. I ran into trouble but I found out
100 later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
101 init thingy to mess up. I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
102 rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time. My
103 previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
104 Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it. Grub was telling
105 one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else. I'm
106 sure it was a nice fight.
107
108 Dale
109
113 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
114 how you interpreted my words!
115
116 Miss the compile output? Hint:
117 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"