From: Michael Scherer <a6702894@××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:24:27
1 On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:01:09 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Michael Scherer wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
6 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Michael Mol wrote:
9 > >>> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
10 > >>> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
11 > >>> own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want
12 > >>> my systems ready before that.
13 > >>>
14 > >>> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like
15 > >>> the command I need to run is:
16 > >>>
17 > >>> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
18 > >>>
19 > >>> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
20 > >>>
21 > >>> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
22 > >>> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
23 > >>>
24 > >>> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
25 > >>> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on
26 > >>> your system
27 > >>>
28 > >>> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file
29 > >>> a bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
30 > >>> says not to file build errors as bug reports.
31 > >>>
32 > >>> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut
33 > >>> is still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
34 > >>> working.
35 > >>>
36 > >>> I've attached genkernel.log
37 > >>>
38 > >>
39 > >>
40 > >> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still
41 > >> support /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went
42 > >> through, we may not need the init thingy after all.
43 > >>
44 > >> Go figure.
45 > >>
46 > >> Dale
47 > >>
48 > >> :-) :-)
49 > >>
50 > >
51 > > I wouldn't bet on that.
52 > >
53 > > But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
54 > > that does just that: load /usr.
55 > > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
56 > > It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
57 > > have an initramfs.
58 > > There's also a more general introduction
59 > > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
60 > > for a lot of other options
61 > >
62 > > michael
67 > I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
68 > it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.
69 >
70 > You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
71 > thingy to work huh?
72 >
73 > Dale
74 >
78 Indeed, I missed all but one email, but there was no hint
79 at all that anything had been said before I came in.
80 Sorry for my unsolicited comments, and I hope you have
81 solved that problem in one or another way.
82
83 michael