From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:02:48
1 Michael Scherer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Michael Mol wrote:
6 >>> So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
7 >>> really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
8 >>> own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
9 >>> systems ready before that.
10 >>>
11 >>> Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
12 >>> command I need to run is:
13 >>>
14 >>> genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
15 >>>
16 >>> and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
17 >>>
18 >>> The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
19 >>> #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
20 >>>
21 >>> 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
22 >>> 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your
23 >>> system
24 >>>
25 >>> I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
26 >>> bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
27 >>> says not to file build errors as bug reports.
28 >>>
29 >>> So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
30 >>> still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
31 >>> working.
32 >>>
33 >>> I've attached genkernel.log
34 >>>
37 >> If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
38 >> /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
39 >> not need the init thingy after all.
40 >>
41 >> Go figure.
42 >>
43 >> Dale
44 >>
45 >> :-) :-)
48 > I wouldn't bet on that.
49 >
50 > But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
51 > that does just that: load /usr.
52 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
53 > It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
54 > have an initramfs.
55 > There's also a more general introduction
56 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
57 > for a lot of other options
58 >
59 > michael
64 I'm not betting on it but that is what the Gentoo council voted on and
65 it said that /usr on a separate partition was going to be supported.
66
67 You must have missed the HUGE thread where I was trying to get a init
68 thingy to work huh?
69
70 Dale
71
75 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
76 how you interpreted my words!
77
78 Miss the compile output? Hint:
79 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"