From: Michael Scherer <a6702894@××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:51:40
1 On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:26:57 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Michael Mol wrote:
5 > > So, my habit is to have /usr sit on top of LVM on top of mdraid. I
6 > > really don't want to get into the business of manually managing my
7 > > own initramfs, and udev >= 181 will eventually hit stable. I want my
8 > > systems ready before that.
9 > >
10 > > Now, having looked at the pertinent documentation, it looks like the
11 > > command I need to run is:
12 > >
13 > > genkernel --lvm --mdadm --disklabel initramfs
14 > >
15 > > and then add the initramfs to my grub setup.
16 > >
17 > > The trouble is, genkernel dies on me. I tried for some feedback in
18 > > #gentoo-chat, and DrEeevil gave me two clues:
19 > >
20 > > 13:34 <+DrEeevil> that shouldn't even be possible
21 > > 13:36 <+DrEeevil> mikemol: looks like static linking didn't on your
22 > > system
23 > >
24 > > I don't know where to take things from here. I'm hesitant to file a
25 > > bug on b.g.o, because the tail end of genkernel.log specifically
26 > > says not to file build errors as bug reports.
27 > >
28 > > So...any ideas? This is an amd64 mostly-stable system, and dracut is
29 > > still masked on amd64, which is why I'm trying to get genkernel
30 > > working.
31 > >
32 > > I've attached genkernel.log
36 > If I read the -dev mailing list correctly, they plan to still support
37 > /usr without a init thingy. After all the mess I went through, we may
38 > not need the init thingy after all.
39 >
40 > Go figure.
41 >
42 > Dale
43 >
44 > :-) :-)
47 I wouldn't bet on that.
48
49 But there is a detailed gentoo howto to create an iniramfs
50 that does just that: load /usr.
51 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
52 It works. You only need tell your bootloader that now you
53 have an initramfs.
54 There's also a more general introduction
55 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
56 for a lot of other options
57
58 michael