From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can anyone tell me?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 02:34:57
1 On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 12:16:36 -0800
2 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
5 > wrote:
7 > > Hash: SHA512
8 > >
9 > > Hello,
10 > >
11 > > Can anyone tell me what packages you know of that will break your
12 > > system if you choose to put "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64" in your
13 > > make.conf file? I have had my system break, twice now, from a
14 > > package upgrade - I think that one of the culprits is gawk, but
15 > > can't be certain.
16 > >
17 > > I do know that the only way to fix the problem was to restore from
18 > > backup, or to try re-installing again. I just want to know which
19 > > packages are so unstable that I should mask them. TIA.
20
21 doesn't sound like a broken package to me. perhaps something else got
22 borked?
23
24 > > Regards,
25 > > Chris
28 > Hi Chris,
29 > I don't think your question can be answered as phrased.
30 >
31 > *Any* package marked with '~' is 'new', 'in testing', 'unstable',
32 > etc. Very few (in my experience) 'break' my machine, but I have a rule
33 > that any package energed as part of emerge system must be stable and I
34 > personally add ~x86 or ~amd64 only for specific packages that I want
35 > or need some new feature.
36
37 My experience is the same as Mark's. I use ~amd64 only when
38 necessary, and although sometimes it doesn't work or is buggy
39 afterwords (after all, it's testing) it has never once broken the
40 system. That having been said, I wouldn't use it for system critical
41 anything (other than the kernel).
44 > Hope this helps,
45 > Mark
46 --