From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LC_ locale settings for UK / GB.
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:36:08
1 On 07/10/2009 08:49 PM, ABCD wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Because I'm seeing some strange things in this thread, let me elucidate
4 > as to what the various LANG/LC_* variables do:
5 >
6 > LANG
7 > sets the default for LC_*, if unset, defaults to "C"
8 >
9 > LC_CTYPE [charset]
10 > LC_NUMERIC [number format]
11 > LC_TIME [time format]
12 > LC_COLLATE [sort order]
13 > LC_MONETARY [money format]
14 > LC_MESSAGES [message language]
15 > LC_PAPER [paper size]
16 > LC_NAME [given/family name format]
17 > LC_ADDRESS [mailing address format]
18 > LC_TELEPHONE [country code, etc.]
19 > LC_MEASUREMENT [US customary, SI, etc.]
20 > LC_IDENTIFICATION [???]
21 > Used as their names suggest, for the various things that can be
22 > done with locales. Default to $LANG, if $LANG is unset, defaults
23 > to "C".
24 >
25 > LC_ALL
26 > Override for LC_*. If LC_ALL is set, then LC_* is ignored, and the
27 > value of LC_ALL is used for everything. *Do not* set this in env.d
28 > unless you know exactly what you are doing. (Setting LC_ALL=C to
29 > disable all locale settings, for instance).
30
31 Thanks for the clarification. The only reason I can think of for *not*
32 setting LC_ALL is that some users on a multi-user system might want to
33 use a different language. Am I missing something else important?