From: James L <bjlockie@××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg segfaults if I have an encrypted volume mounted
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:48:20
1 > Remy Blank wrote:
2 > my laptop powers off by itself after a few
3 > hours of doing nothing. I first thought that it was a hardware issue,
4 > but it just switched off before my eyes a few minutes ago: the screen
5 > went blank, and I could see the caps lock and scroll lock LEDs blink for
6 > ~30 seconds, before the laptop powered off. This seems to be a strong
7 > hint at a kernel panic.
8 >
9 > Unfortunately, as I was in X, I didn't get to see the panic, and it
10 > wasn't logged either. Does anyone know how to get the kernel panic
11 > message in such a case? I have enabled remote logging with syslog-ng,
12 > but I suspect that this won't be enough. I have found kdump, but setting
13 > it up seems to be quite tricky.
14 >
15 > -- Remy
16
17 Turn off all power management software.
18 My guess is it is going into one of the power saving modes that ends up
19 crashing it.