From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:32:24
1 On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM, José Maldonado <josemald89@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > The last days, ArsTechnica publish this new:
4 >
5 > http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/goodbye-apt-and-yum-ubuntus-snap-apps-are-coming-to-distros-everywhere/
6 >
7 > "Snaps now work natively on Arch, Debian, Fedora, Kubuntu, Lubuntu,
8 > Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Unity, and Xubuntu,"
9 > Canonical's announcement says. "They are currently being validated on
10 > CentOS, Elementary, Gentoo, Mint, OpenSUSE, OpenWrt and RHEL, and are
11 > easy to enable on other Linux distributions." (Ubuntu will continue to
12 > support deb packages, but developers can choose to package
13 > applications as snaps instead of or in addition to debs.)"
14 >
15 > Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages? Why not Flatpak?
16
17 When I first saw this, I thought "strange, maybe if Gentoo develops an
18 'esnap' in order to build the container-package locally" but then I
19 remembered that we have docker and lxc/lxd, so why not another method?
20
21 When Flatpak's ready, someone'll make it available and/or package it.
22
23 [AFAIK, Flatpak's for GUI apps accessed via Gnome Software so it's not
24 quite a Snap competitor.]