From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:58:48
1 On 08/02/2013 01:16 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 >> And if you cba to review the basics, stuff most users know, or can find out easily,
3 >> what makes you think you're cut out to be a developer?
4 >>
5 >> Please note I'm not discussing any technical ability you may or may not have with
6 >> bash, ebuilds or upstream sources. Just your ability to find out the basics, which
7 >> is much less difficult than installing Gentoo in the first place.
8 >>
9 >> If you want/ed to be a developer, my advice would always be: show you're useful, not
10 >> that you need hand-holding and ego-stroking from the get-go.
11 >
12 > I've been an occasionnal contributor to Git, the active maintainer of
13 > OfflineIMAP for more than a year and I'm maintainer and developer at
14 > $DAY_JOB since years. I turned the OfflineIMAP worflow from one
15 > maintainer into a team of official maintainers. This is merely one
16 > example of my contributions to the open source world and when it comes
17 > to recruitement, workflow and decision processes I think I know what I'm
18 > talking about.
21 We mainly care about gentoo contributions when it comes to gentoo
22 recruitment and do not let people in, just because they are developers.
23 That is not even a requirement.
24
25 So we are pretty open to new contributors.