From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: updating old box: segfaults with python
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:16:09
1 On 01/08/2014 11:39:21 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 08.01.2014 19:47, schrieb Grant Edwards:
3 > > On 2014-01-08, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Looking forward to some clever suggestions ;-)
6 > >
7 > > Well, I'd start by running memtest86 overnight just to eliminate the
8 > > possibility of marginal memory. But, if memory serves, this is a
9 > > remote server at a customer site -- so that may not be a viable
10 > > option.
11 >
12 > Sure. Good suggestion. I would do that if I had physical access to the
13 > server ... for now I don't. And I assume the box would behave much
14 > more
15 > problematic if the memory was faulty.
16
17 You can use sys-apps/memtester without physical access to the machine.
18 I had cases where memtester found errors which memtest86 didn't.
19 One of these cases was a machine which probably had a cache coherence
20 problem
21 since the error showed up only when more than one process ran memtester.
22 Replacing the CPU but not the memory fixed that problem.
23
24 Did you try www.sysresccd.org/ version 3.8.1? I'm not sure if it is
25 based on
26 glibc-2.17, yet.