From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Libreoffice and copying web pages
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 18:39:01
1 On 2019-04-30, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > As some know, I got a printer.  Now I'm trying to get some info and
6 > print it using LOo for the most part.  This is the way I do this.  I go
7 > to a web page, sites will vary, and I highlight what I want and copy it
8 > to the clipboard.  I then go to LOo and paste it as HTML, since that is
9 > what it is.  At that point, LOo fetches things like pics and such to
10 > place on the document.  It takes a little time and I avoid copying
11 > videos since it can't print a video.  For the most part, this works
12 > great.  It takes a minute or so to fetch the pics and such and
13 > everything looks fine.  I remove anything I don't want such as ads and
14 > such.  Basically, it looks like the web page but I can edit it to make
15 > fonts larger etc.  However, sometimes it doesn't work.
16 >
17 > When it doesn't work, this is usually what happens.  I paste the
18 > document and LOo gets very slow or doesn't respond at all.  Sometimes it
19 > gets to the point I have to literally kill the thing to get it to stop.
20 > On the occasions that it is just slow, scrolling up or down to make
21 > edits is very slow.  I'm talking I move the mouse wheel and a minute or
22 > two later it scrolls up a couple lines.  In a document that is several
23 > pages long, it takes forever to scroll to the top after pasting it in.
24 > In older versions of LOo it didn't have this problem.  It would copy and
25 > paste and even while fetching the pics, it would respond very well and
26 > was pretty fast.  The pics sometimes would show up as empty boxes tho
27 > until they were fetched.  I would wait until that was done before saving
28 > the docs.  About a year or so ago, it started this very slow to
29 > downright won't respond thing.
30 >
31 > Is there a LOo guru that has a better idea on how to correct this or how
32 > to do this differently so that it responds even while fetching pics and
33 > such?  Maybe there is a setting somewhere I can change to make it work
34 > better.
35 >
36 > Things I've considered but didn't like the results of.  Selecting what I
37 > want to print and printing it as a pdf file or just printing directly
38 > without having a copy to edit.  For obvious reasons, that doesn't work
39 > well because I sometimes change fonts and sizes for these old eyes.
40 > Doing this in LOo makes things better if I can get it working right.
41 > I've also tried the print friendly version when available but that
42 > removes some things I do want to have, pics mostly.
45 Here are two ideas that won't solve the problem, but might be useful as
46 workarounds:
47
48 You could try OpenOffice (only available as openoffice-bin?) and see if
49 it works better in that situation.
50
51 Depending on the web browser you're using (Seamonkey?), you might have
52 an "Inspector" (context menu, "Inspect Element"), which can be used to
53 remove undesired elements. It works when the page is saved (elements
54 which were removed using the inspector are not present in the saved
55 version), hopefully it will also work with copy-paste (but I have never
56 tried to do that).
57
58 Unfortunately, depending on the web page, the inspector itself can
59 sometimes be slow or even freeze.
60
61 If you're using Seamonkey as a web browser, here's another idea I didn't
62 try but which might help: ctrl+E will open the current web page for
63 editing in Seamonkey's Composer.
66 Nuno Silva