From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 21:52:33
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:50 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Peter
2 Humphrey did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Monday 03 January 2011 14:40:41 walt wrote:
5 > > I'm wondering if you have some mixture of baselayout versions on that
6 > > machine from previous updates.
7 >
8 > Unlikely: this box has been ~amd64 since before it had a complete
9 > system.
10 >
11 > > Could your machine be trying to start something other than kdm by
12 > > mistake? I.e., maybe you are starting kdm for the first time from
13 > > the VT instead of re-starting it?
14 >
15 > Also unlikely.
16 >
17 > I tried taking xdm out of the default run-level and calling both it and
18 > xdm-setup in /etc/conf.d/local. It started up ok then.
19
20 Do you have
21
22 rc_parallel="YES"
23
24 in /etc/rc.conf?
25
26 Try setting it to NO. If stuff then works right, we know your start order is
27 incorrect and I would be suspecting you declined an update in /etc/init.d/
28 that you should have accepted.
29
30 Dunno how you would fix that easily apart from re-emerging everything related
31 that creates an init script.
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com