From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accept all versions but 9999
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:21:01
1 On Friday 14 March 2008, Gustavo Campos wrote:
2 > Hi there.
3 >
4 > I have a "stable" system (I don't have ~x86 set), but I like to have
5 > the latest versions of some specific software (kde, gnome, amarok,
6 > alsa, pulseaudio, wine and so on). To achieve that, I've been using
7 > autounmask with the parameter -n. When I have a package I want to
8 > keep in the latest version, I just autounmask -n package, so all the
9 > dependencies are unmasked and no version number is appended.
10 >
11 > That works fine, but I like to have the latest released versions,
12 > which means I usually want to get away from the *9999 ebuilds. The
13 > trouble is, when I use autounmask without version numbers, those 9999
14 > packages usually are choosen by portage, for being the effective
15 > latest ones.
16 >
17 > I would like to know if there is a way for me to unmask
18 > (automatically if possible) all versions BUT the 9999 ones, so I have
19 > the latest releases but the less CVS/Beta packages as possible.
20
21 I find autounmask does way too much for me, and does it blindly just
22 like a dumb computer should. so I do it manually. However, you are
23 using -n and at the same time trying to use it without -n...
24
25 Trying deleting the autounmask files in /etc/portage/package.unmask/,
26 that should go a long way to removing the CVS stuff (which is usually
27 hard masked) leaving just package.keywords. You might have to manually
28 resolve some conflicts now and then though - small price
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list