From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:09:41
1 Hello, Dale.
2
3 On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 10:03:52 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > I'm considering submitting a bug to bugs.gentoo.org, requesting that
7 > > _all_ installed packages satisfying a virtual get kept. There is surely
8 > > something wrong when somebody who just wants to be a user (me) has to
9 > > read .ebuild files to get normal things done.
13 > If you can, I'd recommend trying to reach out to the maintainer to see
14 > if that is expected behavior.  It could be that that is the way it is
15 > supposed to work.  If that is so tho, I find it odd.
16
17 I find it infuriating when ordinary innocent use of something like
18 emerge can totally break a system.
19
20 > Maybe qmail needs a USE flag to pull in daemontools?
21
22 I'm actually using s/qmail, tarball direct from its maintainer, since
23 there's no ebuild for it. Originally, I had daemontools from the same
24 place, until I discovered there was an ebuild for it.
25
26 > Maybe something else needs changing.  I'd start by reaching out to the
27 > maintainer.  I guess a bug report would be considered reaching out but
28 > a email may also work as well.
29
30 Thanks, I submitted a bug report. I think it's a bug in emerge. I've
31 got a nasty feeling there isn't enough sympathy for non-experts for that
32 bug to go anywhere, but we'll see.
33
34 > Just my thoughts.  May not be worth much.  ;-)
35
36 > Dale
37
41 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).