From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:18:25
1 On 20 Mar 2008, at 19:42, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
2
3 > Get a volt meter and measure the voltage. Red is 5+ volts yellow is
4 > 12+
5 > volts; if you're getting less than that or way too much than those
6 > values then the component needs to be replaced.
7
8 I believe that the PSU has to be under load for the voltage to test
9 correctly.
10
11 You can get testers for ATX PSUs for about £20, I noticed recently,
12 and a search suggests they're much cheaper on eBay (see items
13 190207549145, 280209639310)
14
15 > Try also swapping the
16 > memory modules out one by one; interchanging them and see if that
17 > makes
18 > it boot up. Some, not all, BIOS programs need some ram to boot the
19 > machine.
20
21 Grant,
22
23 It's not clear from your other posts whether you've tried this. If
24 I'm testing a motherboard I _always_ want to have RAM in it - testing
25 without doesn't prove anything (to my satisfaction).
26
27 > It could also be a broken power switch. If that is the case,
28 > try to ground the pwr pin to a grnd(black) pin with a flat head screw
29 > driver on the MB.
30
31 Forgot to mention this in my previous post - this is usually one of
32 the first things I try, because it's so easy to do.
33
34 Stroller.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list