From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:49:23
1 Am Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012, 11:45:34 schrieb Mark David Dumlao:
2 > On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > with redhat's push to move everything into /usr - why not stop right there
6 > > and move everything back into /?
7 >
8 > I originally thought this way, but they actually reviewed the
9 > technical and historical merits for all the use cases and and found
10 > /usr to be superior. Straight out of the freedesktop wiki:
11 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
12 >
13 > 0) If / and /usr are kept separate, programs in /usr can't be updated
14 > independently of programs in /, because the libraries they depend on
15 > might break compatibility. If the binaries and libraries were *all* in
16 > /usr, then the entire system's binaries would always be consistent
17 > regardless of where /usr were sourced from (config files in /etc,
18 > however, would still break).
19
20 not a problem at all if everything is in / and /usr doesn't even exist
21 anymore.
22
23 > 1) There is historical precedent in Unix for /usr-centric systems,
24 > notably Solaris.
25
26 so what? historically we lived in mud huts and used flintstone knives.
27
28 > 2) If /usr were separated from /, then /usr could be mounted
29 > read-only, with / being mounted "normally". Which makes sense, as /
30 > does have bits that are meant to be read-write.
31 really? once upon a time I was told mounting / ro and /usr rw was a GOOD THING
32 to do. I ignored that the same way I ignore it the other way round. With bind
33 mounting and stuff, you can make single directories rw.. so what is the matter?
34
35 > 3) Most software packagers write their binaries to a PREFIX defaulting
36 > to /usr/local, or /usr, as opposed to /. Determining which ones belong
37 > in / or /usr can sometimes be dependent on the distro and/or sysad.
38 > But since more of them default to /usr, if everything were in /usr
39 > it'd be a saner default.
40
41 so what? PREFIX can be changed. Set it to /local if you want. Or /var/local.
42 Or /my/happy/place/local.
45 > (0) basically says that keeping them separate only works as intended
46 > if the both the sysad and the distro upstream work together for their
47 > shared /usr mount. In many cases, however, sysads have to do a lot of
48 > working around and careful planning to get /usr mounted remotely.
49 > (1), (2), and (3) provide advantages to mounting the binaries and
50 > libraries separately from the / filesystem, which mounting them as
51 > part of / does not provide.
52
53 no, not really. No.
56 #163933