From: Dan Egli <dan@×××××××××××.site>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for other Seamonkey users
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 08:15:23
1 On 4/6/2021 10:41 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > I've done some research.  It seems Dovecot is what I need.  It uses mbox
3 > and has some features I might need one day already where Courier doesn't
4 > but there isn't much difference really.  If anyone is curious, the
5 > comparison is here.
6 >
7 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mail_servers
8 >
9 > The biggest thing, mbox.  If I recall correctly that is what Seamonkey
10 > uses and I should be able to import those easy enough.  It at least
11 > gives me a head start.  Since this is a whole new deal, going to start a
12 > new thread if nobody pops up and says nooooooo to Dovecot.  I found a
13 > guide here:
14 >
15 Seamonkey is a web browser. Therefore, mbox vs maildir is meaningless to
16 it. All it knows it it talks to the imap server and the imap server
17 replies and sends a message.
18
19 Having said that, AVOID mbox like the plague! It is only a matter of
20 time before mbox mail files get corrupted. Maildir is INFINITELY safer.
21 And in the event of corruption in maildir, you loose ONLY the corrupted
22 messages. Corrupt your mbox file and you're likely to loose the whole
23 folder!
24
25 As far as moving from one to another, both mbox and maildir are
26 standards. So if imap server X and Y both use Maildir, then swapping
27 between them is easy, and POINTLESS, due to the fact that imap maintains
28 the files on your server. So, if you move to a different mail CLIENT
29 (thunderbird for example) then the new client only needs to take the
30 time to re-download the messages from the server. It's the same way
31 webmail and a client can work together. Neither is doing the actual work
32 with the files. Each is only sending commands to a separate server
33 program to work with the files.
34
35 > http://www.wikigentoo.ksiezyc.pl/Dovecot.htm
36 >
37 > So far, it is Gentoo based.  I found another one but it is Ubuntu
38 > based.  May work but commands are different.  Trying to go by a Gentoo
39 > based one.  If anyone has a better one, please share links.
40 >
41 > May start new thread in a day or so if no one shouts nooooo.
42 Consider this the shout. I can't stop you from using mbox, but I can
43 shout at the top of my lungs that it's a BAD IDEA. And I can say over
44 and over that changing your imap SERVER will have ZERO impact on what
45 Seamonkey does. The only exception would be if you have a mail server
46 (original or new) that doesn't fully follow the imap protocol. And in
47 that case, who knows what the change will do.