From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for other Seamonkey users
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 04:42:06
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 06/04/2021 18:30, Dale wrote:
3 >> Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> On 06/04/21 05:19, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Another question, can I just copy my current emails over and "import"
6 >>>> them?  I think Seamonkey uses mbox type setup.  I know I could with
7 >>>> Thunderbird but it was a bit fussy.  It did work tho. It also made it
8 >>>> easier to switch back.
9 >>> Consider setting up a local imap server. Do all email clients do imap
10 >>> nowadays?
11 >>>
12 >>> I use thunderbird, and since fetchmail broke, I just use rules to pull
13 >>> everything down from the net, sort it, and copy it to local folders on
14 >>> my imap server.
15 >>>
16 >>> You could then use mutt, or neomutt, or pine, or alpine, or
17 >>> whatever, to
18 >>> read (most of) your mail. And any html garbage they couldn't handle,
19 >>> you
20 >>> could use thunderbird or seamonkey or whatever.
21 >>>
22 >>> No need to move mail between different clients. And as for moving your
23 >>> current stuff over, you just move it from Seamonkey's local store to
24 >>> the
25 >>> imap server and it'll appear for all the other clients.
26 >>>
27 >>> Because I move around between home computers, having my mail like this
28 >>> exposed on an imap server is brilliant ...
29 >>>
30 >>> Cheers,
31 >>> Wol
32 >>>
33 >>>
36 >> If I understand this correctly, that could be a good idea.  I use gmail,
37 >> want to switch so bad I can taste it, and pop access to download all
38 >> emails to my hard drive.  I do that because if I run into trouble with
39 >> my network, I have emails just in case I can find a mailing list post
40 >> that will help.  IMAP requires the internet from my understanding.  From
41 >> my understanding of your idea, I'd use a email program to download and
42 >> store the emails for me here on my system and then use any frontend,
43 >> Seamonkey, Thunderbird or whatever to read, reply etc.  It would still
44 >> give me a local copy I can access without a network connection but I can
45 >> use whatever tool I want to see them.  Interesting.  That sounds like a
46 >> awesome idea.  Once moved, I'd never have to move it again if I change
47 >> what I use to view emails.
48 >
49 > All imap requires is an imap server. The ISPs run them, Google runs
50 > them, and why can't you run one?
51 >
52 > I run Courier-imap, most people seem to swear by Dovecote. Just do a
53 > bit of reading up.
54 >>
55 >> One thing, among others, I like about Seamonkey, folders and automatic
56 >> sorting.  For example, your reply went to a folder where all Gentoo user
57 >> mailing list emails go.  It also shows them by thread.  I like the
58 >> thread option for mailing lists but can disable it in other folders
59 >> where threads don't do well.  I repeat that for other mailing lists,
60 >> -dev for example, but also for my bank, online retailers like ebay or
61 >> Amazon etc.  Each has their own place to go.  One reason I do that, my
62 >> filters are set up in such a way that if a email is made to look like
63 >> one of those but comes from somewhere else, a scam or phishing, it
64 >> doesn't filter.  It stays in the inbox and that tells me to be
65 >> suspicious.  If I were to use IMAP, could I still do that?  Does IMAP
66 >> use folders and filters?  I admit, I don't think I've ever used IMAP.
67 >
68 > Imap is quite happy with folders. Google let you create folders, IMAP
69 > lets you access them. No problem.
70 >>
71 >> This sounds like a interesting idea.  I've read where people on this
72 >> list set up such a thing and it doesn't seem to complicated.  I might
73 >> could handle that with a good howto.
74 >>
75 >> Thanks much for thinking outside the box a bit here.  This could give me
76 >> lots of good options.
77 >>
78 > Read up on Courier and Dovecot. I'm sure people here will help you set
79 > it up. Once you've got it working, point Seamonkey at it and see if
80 > you can create folders.
81 >
82 > Then just point your existing rules to move your emails into your imap
83 > folders. You can keep Gmail, but all your folders and emails will be
84 > stored locally.
85 >
86 > And then, just like you can use any old client to access Gmail, you
87 > can use any old client to access your local imap server!
88 >
89 > Cheers,
90 > Wol
95 I've done some research.  It seems Dovecot is what I need.  It uses mbox
96 and has some features I might need one day already where Courier doesn't
97 but there isn't much difference really.  If anyone is curious, the
98 comparison is here.
99
100 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mail_servers
101
102 The biggest thing, mbox.  If I recall correctly that is what Seamonkey
103 uses and I should be able to import those easy enough.  It at least
104 gives me a head start.  Since this is a whole new deal, going to start a
105 new thread if nobody pops up and says nooooooo to Dovecot.  I found a
106 guide here:
107
108 http://www.wikigentoo.ksiezyc.pl/Dovecot.htm
109
110 So far, it is Gentoo based.  I found another one but it is Ubuntu
111 based.  May work but commands are different.  Trying to go by a Gentoo
112 based one.  If anyone has a better one, please share links.
113
114 May start new thread in a day or so if no one shouts nooooo.
115
116 Dale
117
119
120 P. S.  One howto mentions a squirrel.  I like squirrels.  ROFL