From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Vmware Player 4 from vmware-overlay
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:13:40
1 Am 20.10.2011 18:47, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2
3 >> Gentoo hosts run KVM, in there virtual Windows-machines for various
4 >> specific software they need.
5 >>
6 >> Stable so far.
7 >
8 > Good to know. Maybe I'll give it a try.
9
10 reply 2, new thoughts
11 (perspective: running *one* Windows-XP-VM on a desktop-machine, for some
12 specific software):
13
14 Linux 3.1 brings KVM-related improvements. I will check those.
15
16 I don't see any performance-issues here with KVM, waiting for
17 vmware-player just out of curiosity ... (and KVM is told to be more
18 efficient anyway, closer-to/inside the kernel).
19
20 Choosing KVM would mean running only one virtualization here,
21 simplifying things and going the open-source path.
22
23 I simply haven't migrated that one XP-VM yet because I didn't need to so
24 far.
25
26 Stefan