From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Vmware Player 4 from vmware-overlay
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 05:31:38
1 On 10/25/2011 01:12 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 20.10.2011 18:47, schrieb Mark Knecht:
3 >
4 >>> Gentoo hosts run KVM, in there virtual Windows-machines for various
5 >>> specific software they need.
6 >>>
7 >>> Stable so far.
8 >>
9 >> Good to know. Maybe I'll give it a try.
10 >
11 > reply 2, new thoughts
12 > (perspective: running *one* Windows-XP-VM on a desktop-machine, for some
13 > specific software):
14 >
15 > Linux 3.1 brings KVM-related improvements. I will check those.
16 >
17 > I don't see any performance-issues here with KVM, waiting for
18 > vmware-player just out of curiosity ... (and KVM is told to be more
19 > efficient anyway, closer-to/inside the kernel).
20
21 How is video and mouse performance? VMware has drivers for that; you
22 install them inside the guest. There is seamless mouse integration with
23 guest-host, and very fast graphics (I can run Windows Aero without
24 problem.) I can also drag&drop files between my Linux and Windows
25 desktop and also share the clipboard.
26
27 Does KVM have something similar?