From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtime-preemption patch
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:29:07
1 On 11/1/05, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:11:48 +0000
5 > karlos <k.gebbert@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I just wanted to ask whether someone on the List has experiences with the
8 > > Realtime Preemption patches by Ingo Molnar
9 > >
10 > > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
11 > >
12 > > applied to the gentoo-kernel. I have just tried it out but a LOT of files
13 > > are not where patch thinks they should be, so I did not even attempt to
14 > > build it.
15 >
16 > Files should be there... you're using the correct -p flag for patch? I
17 > guess you'd having problems anyway if you're using the (already heavily
18 > patched) gentoo-kernel. Why not start with a vanilla kernel, patch it
19 > with realtime-preempt and then apply any other patches you might want
20 > from gentoo-sources?
21 >
22 > -hwh
23
24 Hi Hans,
25 I have considerable experience with these patches over the last few
26 years, first on the PlanetCCRMA/RH/Fedora relases and now on Gentoo.
27
28 On Gentoo I build my own kernels. I dearly wish there was a
29 realtime kernel project here based on Ingo's work but there isn't. To
30 make the current 2.6.14-rt1 kernel it's dead simple:
31
32 1) Get the current stable kernel from kernel.org - 2.6.14
33
34 2) Patch it with Ingo's current patch - 2.6.14-rt1
35
36 If you need any help doing that let me know off line and I'll go
37 through it with you.
38
39 These kernels get a bit more difficult as release candidate kernels
40 start coming out. Basically then you take some baseline kernel, which
41 is not always the newest kernel, add the rc patches, and then add the
42 rt patches. On the previous round I got as far as 2.6.14-rc5-rt7. Note
43 that this kernel was built on top of 2.6.13, not 2.6.13.2.
44
45 Anyway, it works, once you get used to the process.
46
47 NOTE: Once you get one of these kernels booted you still have
48 configuration work to do in terms of setting realtime priorities, etc.
49 That's where it gets fun!
50
51 Cheers,
52 Mark