From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:25:47
1 On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Monday 17 September 2012 16:57:49 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >
5 >> so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop
6 >
7 > Not on this one, no. It spends its life running BOINC applications. You
8 > know, contributing something back for all the help I've gained.
9
10 I believe that's the beauty of options like CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. If you
11 leave the machine running crunching numbers (of whatever), with
12 USB_SUSPEND the devices not used (say, the backup disk you transfer to
13 the results of your crunching every weekend) can be suspended, saving
14 a little bit of power.
15
16 You don't leave the monitor turned on and disable the power off
17 features of it, right?
18
19 Really, I think many others have contributed enough reasons to make it
20 obvious that there is no reason to not turn on this kind of options in
21 the kernel.
22
23 Regards.
24 --