From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:27:47
1 On Monday 17 September 2012 22:22:50 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > I believe that's the beauty of options like CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. If
4 > you leave the machine running crunching numbers (of whatever), with
5 > USB_SUSPEND the devices not used (say, the backup disk you transfer
6 > to the results of your crunching every weekend) can be suspended,
7 > saving a little bit of power.
8
9 No, I don't need that, having no superfluous devices connected. My weekly
10 backup is of the entire system to an external USB disk. Not from the
11 running system; I reboot to a mini system (which I call a rescue system)
12 each Sunday morning and backup the entire system to USB disk. So far I
13 haven't needed to recover more than a small section of the backup.
14
15 > You don't leave the monitor turned on and disable the power off
16 > features of it, right?
17
18 I resent the kernel's insistence on deciding when my monitor should be
19 switched off. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, thank you very
20 much.
23 Rgds
24 Peter