From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 00:06:14
1 On Samstag 05 September 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Volker Armin
3 >
4 > Hemmann<volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 > >> I recently stumbled upon an LWN article that mentioned Con Kolivas is
7 > >> working on a new kernel scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
8 > >> called "BFS":
9 > >>
10 > >> http://lwn.net/Articles/350100
11 > >>
12 > >> Well, I've tried it. I wrote my experiences with it here:
13 > >>
14 > >> http://lwn.net/Articles/350820
15 > >>
16 > >> If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to give that one a try. In
17 > >> my case, it helped immensely, especially with sound latency and skips
18 > >> and other artifacts during real-time playback (I was not using an RT
19 > >> kernel before that though). Note that BFS has been updated to 0.206
20 > >> since I wrote that.
21 > >>
22 > >> The patch to kernel 2.6.30 and docs can be found at:
23 > >>
24 > >> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs
25 > >
26 > > and what is with people like me - who for some magical reasons don't have
27 > > problems with skips or latency? Without using rt-kernels of course.-
28 >
29 > Fire up Ardour and record 32 channels of audio at the same time set to
30 > <5mS latency using Jack and see if whatever version of the mainline
31 > kernel you are running doesn't have. I've recorded as many as 48
32 > channels @ 48KHz across three hard drives at less than 2mS on my main
33 > recording platform, but that requires rt-sources. I doubt I could do
34 > better than about 25mS with vanilla-sources.
35 >
36 > Just my experience,
37 > Mark
40 well, and your workload asks for rt. But rt also means overhead, reduction of
41 performance. So why cater for 1 in a thousand system and punish the other 999?
42
43 if you like the 'bfs' scheduler, that is great.