From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:50:43
1 On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Volker Armin
2 Hemmann<volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >> I recently stumbled upon an LWN article that mentioned Con Kolivas is
5 >> working on a new kernel scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
6 >> called "BFS":
7 >>
8 >>     http://lwn.net/Articles/350100
9 >>
10 >> Well, I've tried it.  I wrote my experiences with it here:
11 >>
12 >>     http://lwn.net/Articles/350820
13 >>
14 >> If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to give that one a try. In
15 >> my case, it helped immensely, especially with sound latency and skips
16 >> and other artifacts during real-time playback (I was not using an RT
17 >> kernel before that though).  Note that BFS has been updated to 0.206
18 >> since I wrote that.
19 >>
20 >> The patch to kernel 2.6.30 and docs can be found at:
21 >>
22 >>     http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs
25 > and what is with people like me - who for some magical reasons don't have
26 > problems with skips or latency? Without using rt-kernels of course.-
30 Fire up Ardour and record 32 channels of audio at the same time set to
31 <5mS latency using Jack and see if whatever version of the mainline
32 kernel you are running doesn't have. I've recorded as many as 48
33 channels @ 48KHz across three hard drives at less than 2mS on my main
34 recording platform, but that requires rt-sources. I doubt I could do
35 better than about 25mS with vanilla-sources.
36
37 Just my experience,
38 Mark