From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:50:36
1 On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > On March 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
7 > wrote:
8 >
9 >> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
10 >> <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
11 >> >
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> > On March 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
15 >> > wrote:
16 >> > <snip>
17 >> >>
18 >> >> "Fringe" programs will not require udev, or it will be optional; but
19 >> >> the moment a "fringe" program reaches critical mass to become
20 >> >> "maistream", the probability of it needing udev (directly or
21 >> >> indirectly) will increase.
22 >> >>
23 >> >> I'm willing to bet a beer on that prediction.
24 >> >>
25 >> >> Regards.
26 >> >> --
27 >> >> Canek Peláez Valdés
28 >> >
29 >> >
30 >> >
31 >> > It _sounds_ like your definition of a "fringe" program is one that does
32 > not
33 >> > need udev; but when it becomes "mainstream" it will need udev. If not,
34 > you
35 >> > write us the definition of a "fringe" program and a "mainstream"
36 > program.
37 >> >
38 >> > Excuse me, but that's just incredibly _arrogant_!
39 >>
40 >> Relax man. That's why "fringe" is written QUOTE fringe UNQUOTE, and
41 >> "mainstream" is written QUOTE mainstream UNQUOTE. If it makes you
42 >> happy, replace "fringe" with "GNOME/KDE/XFCE/lvm2-not-related" and
43 >> "mainstream" with "GNOME/KDE/XFCE/lvm2-related". That's using the very
44 >> same definition that Walter (the guy behind the mdev-instead-of-udev
45 >> effort) used just three mails below (or above, depending on your email
46 >> client).
47 >>
48 >> Please chill, no need to get all worked out.
49 >>
50 >> And I maintain my prediction.
51 >>
52 >> Regards.
53 >> --
54 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
57 > So, what qualifies for "the moment a "fringe" program reaches critical mass
58 > to become "maistream", the probability of it needing udev (directly or
59 > indirectly) will increase."
60
61 Just what I was saying: I said (right there) "the probability of it
62 needing udev (directly or indirectly) will increase." I did not say it
63 would *need* udev for sure; just that the probability of it needing
64 udev would increase.
65
66 I'm not spreading FUD; I'm just stating my opinion. And I stick to it;
67 wanna bet that beer?
68
69 Regards.
70 --