From: Joshua Doll <Joshua.Doll@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best virtual machine for my needs
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:53:06
1 A. R. wrote:
2 > On 7/27/07, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi!
5 >>
6 >> I need a way to use Napster or iTunes on Linux. (I don't like DRM but it's not
7 >> my PC and not my decision)
8 >>
9 >> I think my best bet would be a virtual machine with Windows 2000 (I can spare
10 >> the licence). The PC is an older AMD64 without AMD-V. Therefore I need
11 >> something that
12 >>
13 >> a) is free or at least not expensive
14 >> b) works without AMD-V and Intel-V
15 >> c) works with Win2k
16 >> d) simulates a CD recorder for burning the music (or do you know a better way
17 >> to get rid of DRM again?)
18 >>
19 >> I hope my English was good enough to explain myself and you can help me.
20 >>
21 >> Thanks in advance!
22 >>
23 >> Florian Philipp
29 > The only thing I can think of is "wine" (an emulator), which is in the
30 > portage tree:
31 >
32 > emerge -va wine
33 >
34 > After that, there is a very good site for using wine with several programs:
35 > http://frankscorner.org/
36 >
37 > I know nothing on how to avoid all that DRM fiasco.
38 >
39 > HTH
40 >
41 > - AR
45 There's vmare, kvm, qemu?, and xen that I can think of right off the top
46 of my head. Wine might work but I wouldn't bet on it.
49 --Joshua Doll
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list