From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best virtual machine for my needs
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:17:54
1 Am Freitag 27 Juli 2007 22:40 schrieb Joshua Doll:
2 > A. R. wrote:
3 > > On 7/27/07, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > >> Hi!
5 > >>
6 > >> I need a way to use Napster or iTunes on Linux. (I don't like DRM but
7 > >> it's not my PC and not my decision)
8 > >>
9 > >> I think my best bet would be a virtual machine with Windows 2000 (I can
10 > >> spare the licence). The PC is an older AMD64 without AMD-V. Therefore I
11 > >> need something that
12 > >>
13 > >> a) is free or at least not expensive
14 > >> b) works without AMD-V and Intel-V
15 > >> c) works with Win2k
16 > >> d) simulates a CD recorder for burning the music (or do you know a
17 > >> better way to get rid of DRM again?)
18 > >>
19 > >> I hope my English was good enough to explain myself and you can help me.
20 > >>
21 > >> Thanks in advance!
22 > >>
23 > >> Florian Philipp
24 > >
25 > > The only thing I can think of is "wine" (an emulator), which is in the
26 > > portage tree:
27 > >
28 > > emerge -va wine
29 > >
30 > > After that, there is a very good site for using wine with several
31 > > programs: http://frankscorner.org/
32 > >
33 > > I know nothing on how to avoid all that DRM fiasco.
34 > >
35 > > HTH
36 > >
37 > > - AR
38 >
39 > There's vmare, kvm, qemu?, and xen that I can think of right off the top
40 > of my head. Wine might work but I wouldn't bet on it.
43 > --Joshua Doll
44
45 KVM needs Intel-V or AMD-V. Xen doesn't need it for Linux and BSD but needs it
46 for Windows.
47 Qemu and vmware might work but I just don't know if they can emulate a cd
48 recorder and that's what I need to know.
49
50 Wine does not work (iTunes doesn't start, Napster can't playback and is barely
51 tested, Windows Media Player is tricky at best - everything according to
52 appdb.winehq.org). Even if it would start, I don't think Wine supports the
53 DRM framework of Win.