From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:47:10
1 On 27/12/2021 13:40, Michael wrote:
2 > On Monday, 27 December 2021 11:32:39 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 27/12/2021 11:07, Jacques Montier wrote:
4 >>> Well, i don't know if my partitions are aligned or mis-aligned... How
5 >>> could i get it ?
6 >>
7 >> fdisk would have spewed a bunch of warnings. So you're okay.
8 >>
9 >> I'm not sure of the details, but it's the classic "off by one" problem -
10 >> if there's a mismatch between the kernel block size and the disk block
11 >> size any writes required doing a read-update-write cycle which of course
12 >> knackered performance. I had that hit a while back.
13 >>
14 >> But seeing as fdisk isn't moaning, that isn't the problem ...
15 >>
16 >> Cheers,
17 >> Wol
18 >
19 > I also thought of misaligned boundaries when I first saw the error, but the
20 > mention of Seagate by the OP pointed me to another edge case which crept up
21 > with zstd compression on ZFS. I'm mentioning it here in case it is relevant:
22 >
23 > https://livelace.ru/posts/2021/Jul/19/unaligned-write-command/
24 >
25 that might be of interest to me ... I'm getting system lockups but it's
26 not an SSD. I've got two IronWolves and a Barracuda.
27
28 But I notice the OP has a Barra*C*uda. Note the different spelling.
29 That's a shingled drive I believe, which shouldn't make a lot of
30 difference in light usage, but you don't want to hammer it!
31
32 Cheers,
33 Wol