From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 14:16:08
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 27/12/2021 13:40, Michael wrote:
3 >> On Monday, 27 December 2021 11:32:39 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> On 27/12/2021 11:07, Jacques Montier wrote:
5 >>>> Well, i don't know if my partitions are aligned or mis-aligned... How
6 >>>> could i get it ?
7 >>>
8 >>> fdisk would have spewed a bunch of warnings. So you're okay.
9 >>>
10 >>> I'm not sure of the details, but it's the classic "off by one"
11 >>> problem -
12 >>> if there's a mismatch between the kernel block size and the disk block
13 >>> size any writes required doing a read-update-write cycle which of
14 >>> course
15 >>> knackered performance. I had that hit a while back.
16 >>>
17 >>> But seeing as fdisk isn't moaning, that isn't the problem ...
18 >>>
19 >>> Cheers,
20 >>> Wol
21 >>
22 >> I also thought of misaligned boundaries when I first saw the error,
23 >> but the
24 >> mention of Seagate by the OP pointed me to another edge case which
25 >> crept up
26 >> with zstd compression on ZFS.  I'm mentioning it here in case it is
27 >> relevant:
28 >>
29 >> https://livelace.ru/posts/2021/Jul/19/unaligned-write-command/
30 >>
31 > that might be of interest to me ... I'm getting system lockups but
32 > it's not an SSD. I've got two IronWolves and a Barracuda.
33 >
34 > But I notice the OP has a Barra*C*uda. Note the different spelling.
35 > That's a shingled drive I believe, which shouldn't make a lot of
36 > difference in light usage, but you don't want to hammer it!
37 >
38 > Cheers,
39 > Wol
43 I don't recall seeing this mentioned but this may be part of the issue
44 unless I'm missing something that rules this out.  Could it be a drive
45 is a SMR drive?  I recently made a new backup after wiping out the
46 drive.  I know the backup drive is a SMR drive.  At first, it copied at
47 a fairly normal speed but after a short time frame, it started slowing
48 down.  At times, it would do only about 50 to 60MBs/sec.  It started out
49 at well over 100MBs/sec which is fairly normal for this rig.  I would
50 stop the copy process, let it catch up and restart just to give it some
51 time to process.  I can't say it was any faster that way tho.
52
53 The way I noticed my drive was SMR, I could feel the heads going back
54 and forth by putting my hand on the enclosure.  It had a bumpy feel to
55 it.  You can't really hear it tho.  If you can feel those little bumps
56 even when the drive isn't mounted, I'd be thinking it is a SMR drive.
57 There are also sites that you can look this sort of thing up on too.  If
58 needed, I can go dig out some links.
59
60 Just thought it worth a mention.
61