From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 19:23:14
1 Am Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 08:15:51AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > I don't recall seeing this mentioned but this may be part of the issue
4 > unless I'm missing something that rules this out.  Could it be a drive
5 > is a SMR drive?
8 SMR may slow down drive response time and throughput, but it should never
9 generate I/O errors in the syslog. If resetting or swapping the SATA cables
10 does not help, then I’d suspect the drive going bad. A long selftest might
11 be in order (smartctl -t long). smartctl -a shows how long this will take
12 approximately (it’s rather accurate).
13
14 For my PC’s rust drive (1 TB WD Blue) it says:
15 Extended self-test routine
16 recommended polling time: ( 113) minutes.
20 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
21 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
22
23 “If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say
24 the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.” – George Carlin