From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:41:06
1 On Monday, 27 December 2021 11:32:39 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 27/12/2021 11:07, Jacques Montier wrote:
3 > > Well, i don't know if my partitions are aligned or mis-aligned... How
4 > > could i get it ?
5 >
6 > fdisk would have spewed a bunch of warnings. So you're okay.
7 >
8 > I'm not sure of the details, but it's the classic "off by one" problem -
9 > if there's a mismatch between the kernel block size and the disk block
10 > size any writes required doing a read-update-write cycle which of course
11 > knackered performance. I had that hit a while back.
12 >
13 > But seeing as fdisk isn't moaning, that isn't the problem ...
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16 > Wol
17
18 I also thought of misaligned boundaries when I first saw the error, but the
19 mention of Seagate by the OP pointed me to another edge case which crept up
20 with zstd compression on ZFS. I'm mentioning it here in case it is relevant:
21
22 https://livelace.ru/posts/2021/Jul/19/unaligned-write-command/
23
24 HTH,