From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drives not detected in repeatable order.
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:06:50
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-10-03, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Just recently I've run in to problems because my hard drives are not
5 >> detected in a predictable order, so my fstab that mount /dev/sdb1 and
6 >> /dev/sdc1 sometimes result in directory trees in the wrong places
7 >> (/dev/sda seems consistent, but I don't know why).
8 >
9 > I still don't know what changed to cause disks ordering to become
10 > non-deterministic.  I recently upgraded from a single-core CPU to a
11 > dual-core CPU.  Would that do it?
12 >
13 >> What's the recommended way to fix this?
14 >
15 > After a bit more googling, it looks like this is what disk labels are
16 > for.  Never used them before, but it looks like it's time to give them
17 > a go.
18
19 They have the advantage over UUID's in that you can set them and
20 therefore can be human readable. Also, if you use a desktop
21 environment, they look nice in file managers.
22
23 Good luck.
24 --
25 Canek Peláez Valdés