From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 12:18:23
1 On Sunday 31 May 2015 01:39:34 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 May 2015 16:43:13 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 30 May 2015 12:49:51 Mick wrote:
4 > > > On my laptop which has stayed on Kmail-1 I have this:
5 > > --->8
6 > >
7 > > > Have a look here for more details and warnings:
8 > > >
9 > > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
10 > >
11 > > Many thanks Mick - that's very helpful.
12 > >
13 > > > I expect that sooner or later bitrot will catch up with Kmail-1 and it
14 > > > will
15 > > > stop working. I dread for this happening, but I will not move to
16 > > > Kmail-2 until then.
17 > >
18 > > I don't blame you, and I wish I hadn't either. I'll see if it's possible
19 > > to go back.
20 >
21 > Well, it did look promising right up to the last gasp. I put those
22 > package.mask entries in, and I found I needed a couple of package.use
23 > entries as well, and then everything went suspiciously well. Portage
24 > downgraded several packages and recompiled several others, and I was ready
25 > to go.
26 >
27 > At this point I must put in a word of commendation for portage: it handled
28 > this major regression with aplomb throughout. That is one professional
29 > program.
30 >
31 > I created a new user (this is now really tedious), started KMail-1 and
32 > imported 14000-odd messages from the old KMail-2 - and in a fraction of the
33 > time that KMail-2 takes for the same task. Great! I thought. Then I found
34 > there was no inbox to copy its e-mails into, and I couldn't copy the folder
35 > because one existed already - I just couldn't see it. I think I remember it
36 > disappearing once or twice before in the days of KMail-1. Anyway, I
37 > couldn't see a way forward so I've reverted to the original KMail-2 pro
38 > tem.
39 >
40 > Maybe I'll have another go if I remember the way out of having no inbox.
41 > Anyway, thanks Mick for steering me the way I wanted to go.
42
43 You're welcome.
44
45 You could look into ~/Mail/ or wherever you keep your mails and find the Inbox
46 directory. Then copy any messages you want shown there manually. The index
47 will be recreated when you restart Kmail, or if you click on 'Recreate Index'
48 under the Properties/Maintenance of the folder.
49
50 Also, under Settings/Configure Kmail/Misc there is a field to specify which
51 folder to open on start up.
52
53 Some combination of the above should work.
54
55 Please note there is a known bug which has come about due to bitrot: All sent
56 messages are placed in the local Sent-Mail folder. I have to manually drag
57 and drop them in the respective email account sent folders from which they
58 were sent.
61 Regards,
62 Mick