From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Storage expansion options
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:31:59
1 >> My desktop currently runs one of these:
2 >>
3 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140
4 >>
5 >> I'm pretty much out of space and I'm trying figure out the best way to
6 >> expand. The factors to consider are cost, capacity, speed, noise, and
7 >> heat.
8 >
9 > So you don't care about security, right? With security I mean redundancy
10 > (RAID1,5,10,...)
11
12 I haven't considered RAID for data security because I'm backing up
13 critical system and data files across physical locations. I figure
14 that's better because I'm protected in case of fire or theft. It
15 would be nice for the system to stay up in the case of a hard drive
16 failure, but there are so many other components that could fail.
17
18 >> Should I get another identical drive and set up RAID, or will
19 >> that create too much noise and heat?
20 >
21 > A RAID won't cause more heat or noise than a second drive but it will also
22
23 How much perceived noise does a second drive create?
24
25 > I'd say if you don't care about redundancy, you should go for a single 1TB
26 > disk. I'd prefer a Samsung Spinpoint F1. Spinpoints have the reputation of
27 > being a good mix between cost effectiveness, speed and noise.
28
29 Do you think that would result in a greater speed increase than
30 another Seagate and RAID0?
31
32 - Grant