From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Storage expansion options
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:47:37
1 Grant schrieb:
2 > My desktop currently runs one of these:
3 >
4 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140
5 >
6 > I'm pretty much out of space and I'm trying figure out the best way to
7 > expand. The factors to consider are cost, capacity, speed, noise, and
8 > heat.
9
10 So you don't care about security, right? With security I mean redundancy
11 (RAID1,5,10,...)
12
13 > Should I get another identical drive and set up RAID, or will
14 > that create too much noise and heat?
15
16 A RAID won't cause more heat or noise than a second drive but it will
17 also not necessarily solve your problem: RAID0 gives you the capacity of
18 both drives combined and a lot of speed but if one of the disks dies,
19 all data is lost. RAID1 spends the complete capacity of one of the
20 drives for redundancy. RAID5 needs three drives (so it doesn't fit into
21 your cost, noise and heat requirements), gives you the capacity of two
22 and enough redundancy to loose one disk. However, its write performance
23 isn't extremely high.
24
25 > Should I get rid of my current
26 > drive and get a new drive, or will that not be much faster?
27
28 Your drive is good, why should you scrap it?
29
30 > Velociraptors are reputed to be very fast, but $200 for 300GB is
31 > pretty expensive and 1TB would require 4 drives which I think would
32 > create a lot of noise and heat.
35 There are two "brute force" ways for an HDD to get faster: You increase
36 their rpm or you increase their storage density (so that in one
37 rotation, the r/w head can read/write more data). The latter has the
38 advantage that it causes no additional heat or noise but more rpm give
39 you lower access times.
40
41 I'd say if you don't care about redundancy, you should go for a single
42 1TB disk. I'd prefer a Samsung Spinpoint F1. Spinpoints have the
43 reputation of being a good mix between cost effectiveness, speed and noise.
44
45 Then I would use it (and the older disk) in an LVM volume group. LVM
46 also supports mirroring (like RAID1) and striping (like RAID0) on a
47 per-volume basis. That means that you could keep most of your data
48 somewhere on the TB disk and still experiment with mirroring and
49 striping using both disks for partitions which need more speed or more
50 security.