From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from Lastpass to Bitwarden
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 12:16:03
1 John Covici wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:04:01 -0500,
3 > Dale wrote:
4 >> Howdy,
5 >>
6 >> Lastpass is forcing people to use only one device type or pay a fee.
7 >> I've used the free version of Lastpass for years and it works well for
8 >> me.  I use it on my desktop and my cell phone too.  However, I don't
9 >> want to be limited to one device type and I also don't care much for
10 >> paying for the service either. After doing some searching, it seems
11 >> Bitwarden is pretty close to Lastpass.  Anyone here used both that can
12 >> tell me if there is any differences between the two, bad differences for
13 >> sure?  The new restrictions don't start for a while, March I think, so I
14 >> have time to switch.  According to search info, I can even export from
15 >> Lastpass and import to Bitwarden pretty easily.
16 >>
17 >> The only downside I've found so far is that Bitwarden isn't available
18 >> for Seamonkey.  Thing is, Lastpass hasn't updated the addon for
19 >> Seamonkey in 2 or 3 years either so I'm using a older legacy version
20 >> anyway.  I'm not sure how much of a downside that is but I won't be able
21 >> to use a password manager at all for Seamonkey.  I hate to say this but
22 >> Seamonkey is going to die if people don't start getting addons working
23 >> with it.  Firefox has tons of addons that Seamonkey doesn't.  I like
24 >> that it is a browser and email all in one but it is getting more limited
25 >> every day.
26 >>
27 >> Anyone have info on switching from Lastpass to Bitwarden?  Thoughts?
28 > hmmm, I never got a notice like that, but I am a premium user, so
29 > maybe that is the reason. It was worth it so I could give emergency
30 > access.
34 This is the announcement.
35
36 https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/what-can-i-expect-to-change-for-lastpass-free-on-march-16-2021
37
38 I suspect the reason you didn't get the notice, it won't affect you
39 since you are already a paying user.  While they may get some users to
40 pay with this new setup, I bet they lose a lot more than they gain, user
41 wise.  After all, I was able to switch in well under 5 minutes.  I have
42 three Firefox profiles and a cell phone and it still didn't take long.
43 Most of that was downloading the app or addon.  If my DSL was faster, 2
44 or 3 minutes maybe.  I spent more time composing my first message about
45 this switch.  lol
46
47 I have my important passwords on a encrypted USB stick.  If I get hit by
48 lightening or something, I have a family member who can decrypt the USB
49 stick and have the password and other info as well.  To be honest tho,
50 it isn't needed.  My bank and such already has the paperwork needed to
51 close accounts and take care of other things.  Still, I'm not worried
52 about forgetting or losing my password, I'd be more worried about it
53 getting corrupted and not being able to login whether I'm a paying user
54 or not. It could happen even tho I suspect it is very rare.
55
56 I guess time will tell how well this works. ;-)
57
58 Dale
59