From: Joe Menola <menola@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Scary Paritioning - Need Help
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 01:23:01
1 On Thursday 19 October 2006 7:02 pm, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > I have three partitions on my workstation's hard drive.
3 >
4 > /dev/sda1 = ntfs (windows)
5 > /dev/sda3 = linux-swap
6 > /dev/sda4 = ext3 (SuSE 10.1)
7 >
8 > Where sda2 should be used to be and XFS partition for Kubuntu.
9 >
10 > My question is thus: how would I tack that free space onto sda4?  I
11 > don't want to reinstall SuSE if I don't have to.
12 >
13 > Throwing out an educated guess, do I have to delete sda3, and then
14 > make sda4 bigger, leaving enough space for sda5 (linux-swap)?
15
16 If you delete sda3, sda4 then becomes sda3, so your Suse fstab will require
17 changes to reflect this. In theroy, resizing what was sda4 to fill the space
18 gained by deleting sda3 should work.
19 I'd suggest resizing sda3 to your desired swap partition size then formatting
20 it as swap. And then resizing sda4 to grab what space is left over. Then your
21 Suse partition will remain sda4.
22 Of course, backing up any data of importantce is highly recommended before
23 doing anything.
24
25 -jm
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list